PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indian Aviation Vacancy Information
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2010, 18:07
shanx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Silver-raptor

What pains me even more is that 75% of Indian CPL holders are foreign trained.

But the govt. hasnt done ANYTHING for the 25% India-trained pilots. Its very sad.

Juz like the govt. is kicking out expatriates, shudnt the INDIAN CPL holders be given a preference.
Silver-raptor, while I fully understand your frustration and perhaps exhasperation with the current situation, Im afraid what you've said above can at best be described as naivety.
Again, no offense to you absolutely.

Unfortunately, a lot of people come to terms witht the HARSH REALITIES and vagaries of this industry only AFTER they are already inside the industry and after investing a good fortune.

I do not wish to even start any debate or discussion on flight training standards in Indian flying schools Vs flying schools in the USA, Canada, Australia etc.
It would only result in mindless arguments and mud slinging.

Civil Aviation in India atleast, like politics, fashion/glamor, and the film industry are all CLOSED INDUSTRIES.
That is a fact. Which means Favoritism, Nepotism, "Jugaad" etc are the RULE ... whereas acheivements through hard work, patience, TALENT, MERIT etc are mere EXCEPTIONS.
I know a lot of members in this forum would disagree with this, as each is entitled to his opinion.

Why else do you think almost every pilot (junior or senior) is related to or is a very very good/close friend of a TRI/TRE, Ops Manager, Commander, someone in the Airline's senior management, or some politician or other bigshot ??

The answer is .. because that is EXACTLY the way the industry works, and will always continue to do so. Just like in politics, fashion, film industry, .. heck .. even medicine !
In India almost every Doctor's son or daughter is doctor or surgeon !!!

Now, am I implying that someone outside with no connections with the industry, no pulls, no political friends, no "JUGAAD" can never ever become an airline pilot in India ??
NO! ... BUT ... the chances of such a person getting an airline or corporate pilot job (freshers especially), VERY VERY HEAVILY DEPEND ON THE FOLLOWING :

1. LUCK (UTMOST IMPORTANT)
2. TIMING ... if the industry is booming, you stand an excellent chance .. if not, then there's absolutely NOTHING that you can do to get ahead of the others with jugaad, influence, big money, political connections etc.
(Trust me, I know people with A320 or B737 type ratings and roughly 200 hours on type who are without a job right now .. YET ... some big shot kid with big "jugaad" and just a CPL and 200 hours has easily managed to walk into an airline ... even in not so good times.)