PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harvard/Texan Prop
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2010, 16:21
pontifex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was lucky enough to fly with the Harvard Formation Team back in the late 80s. We had a "Zeke" which was a Harvard altered to look like a Zero for the film Tora Tora Tora which some may remember, and I flew it in the displays acting as No2 to Gary Newman when we got shot down by the "good guys". This delightful machine had the same engine but a HUGE 3 bladed, geared prop. The power available was awsome - you could do low level aeros all day and never lose energy. The only problem was that, for prop clearance, the UC oleos had to be pumped up rock hard and it would bounce like a ping pong ball. This meant a 3 pointer was essential. But, with the now very nose high ground attitude, it was pretty close to the stall (a sort of ground level coffin corner). As a result the private owners in its country of origin found it too much hassle which is how we got one. I would love to post a photo of it but I don,t have a web site, know anyone with one, or know of one where you can find it. Pity as it is a nice one taken from Gary's machine when we were half way round a loop. Can anybody tell me of a simple way to get it to here from my hard disk?