PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Local pilots fly off the handle at expat perks
Old 14th Feb 2010, 14:29
Eyes only

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the comments made before regarding the expat cabin crew were incorrect. As I understand it, they live in the Gold Coast for the first 12 months, then they as asked to leave the transition housing and receive a housing allowance to live where they wish (the ones that are being “trained” by CX for other airlines do not have that deal). Similar for cockpit crew, they get up to 6 months in the Headland to transition before being required to find their own accommodation.

I think all CNs get housing allowance in HKG, either the expat allowance or the 24k, regardless if the CN started as a CEP, DESO, DEFO, DEC (e.g. ex-Oasis), or extended on B scale on the freighter.

All pilots based outside of HKG are employed on local terms on that base, they do not receive housing or education allowances. This is entirely consistent with the crew who are employed with the home port being HKG, with the exception, the LEPs in HKG do not have to resign from Cathay Pacific to take up their base and now they also get an education allowance.

The SLS treatment of LEPs in HKG was exactly the same as those who are employed as LEP on bases other than HKG, with the exception, those crew that are employed as LEP on bases other than HKG are not generally eligible for any "ex-grata" or 13th month.

I did not understand the representation made by HKG LEPs to management about taking more than their fair share of SLS, nor do I understand this representation regarding housing allowance. Has this come to a head as a result of the advancement in KA ?

LEPs with a home port either in HKG or out of HKG are treated the same, if anything the ones based in HKG may get a little more with 13th month, profit share, and ex-gratia payments and now education allowances. The cost of living on bases outside of HKG is not cheaper than HKG when the after tax expendable income is compared to the cost of living.

While I am not against HKG based LEPs getting a better deal, the cadet entry LEP is not the only group of pilots employed on LEP terms either in HKG or out of HKG. The stereotype of LEPs only being HKG born of a similar ethnic background is far from reality.

I think the primary problem is that inflation has been going up, and the wages have not seen corresponding increases, it is a problem for all bases, all contracts, it has nothing to do with allowances.