PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confined area power check - tips and techniques
Old 14th Feb 2010, 08:32
Flyting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys.... sorry for calling it the dead man's curve.
For Phil's theoretical purposes, I refer to it as the H/V curve. Like Phil said, manufacturerers spend a lot of money coming up with it, and when you've seen a good friend and a full helicopter of pax burn to death in front of you because he had no time to react, you'll learn to respect it...
...but that's a curve post and is done already...

Gordy...
I like the "money curve".... much better, and it's true. I too, spend a lot of my time in it for work purposes - but that's it.
I also have done a similar chart like yours for all the types on my license and use it as much as possible. Works well, especially if you're flying one particular machine and you get to know it intimately.
We too have to do all that pre-planning stuff for the records, but where I mostly fly, we have no idea of conditions, let alone where we are going, so a good check is essencial.

p.s. didn't mean anything by this:
Quote:
In the "real world" thanks Gordy... or maybe I've just been damn lucky until now...
I guess I could have phrased it a little better...
just that I do fly in the real world... if you can call the jungles of central africa that...