PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future-proofing my house
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2010, 07:16
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all of that - I did not make it clear that I have an easy 'drop' route and it would merely be 'through' a wall (all concealed, just holes through the wall to drill). Also the plan would be to run all the stuff now and I am looking for something that is likely to keep me reasonably 'up-to-date' for those 10 years of advances. NB The '10 years' refers to my 'advances' (tempus fugit, and all that) and not technology, since I doubt in 10 years time I will be up to doing quite so much 'DIY', although running new cables in this location would not be a problem. As one ages it becomes difficult sometimes to remember WHERE the remotes are, which one does which 'box' and which button does what, so I suspect I will run out of 'upgradabililty' first

Back to 'hell's' post - do the three sat cables need three separate sockets, and how do they then feed into a sat box?

On to the 'boxes' - where are we in the 'affordable' world in media centres? Would a dedicated media thingy (you can see I'm 'cutting edge') be better than a W7 type unit? Is the verdict that Sat is 'lifed' and that terrestrial or streamed will win? Crystal balls at the ready.

Is there another cable after Cat6 in sight? I need well less than the max length for Cat6 in this house. I suspect the 'rural' speeds here, however, over the next 10 years will not need more than Cat5