PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bmibaby
Thread: Bmibaby
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2010, 04:03
cortilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm feeling very odd about baby. I used to be ground crew for a company that handles them at one of their bases and i know alot of their crew. I also told Mrs C that she was fine in booking on one of their flights in a month's time for a wee skiing holiday.

Whilst I'm completely convinced that they will keep operating in the forseable future i have absolutely no faith in LH keeping them going beyond their current programme. Why would they. LH have never made any bones about the fact that all they're interested in is the LHR slots of mainline.

If you're not FR or EZY in the UK then low cost is a dead duck. You either go the way of BE in Niche markets that the Q400 can cope with and stuff apart from charters that keep the 195's busy or you go the way of LS and dump the city routes post haste and turn yourself into a quasi charter airline.

Baby are a wholy low fare subsidiary (notice i said low fare not low cost) of mainline. Unfortunately their focus is on city pairs such as AMS BFS ABZ EDI MAD BCN FCO etc etc that just aren't lucrative anymore since the pound crashed against the euro. City pairs are no longer an option if you're not FR or EZY.

Don't get me wrong i'd love it if the great team at WW were kept in work but the glory days of baby were 2004,5,6,7 and they are now unfortunately over.

I'd love to be proved wrong but my prediction is there won't be a winter 2010 programme. That doesn't mean that the excellent people at baby will be out of work but the brand BMI Baby will be no more.