PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: The REX Cadet Scheme
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2010, 23:52
Chadzat

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Cirronimbus, if you havent already may I politely suggest you read every Rex thread on pprune (there are a few BIG ones floating around) and you will get a fair idea of what the cadetship is REALLY like.

Unfortunately at the early stages of a flying career the rose coloured glasses are VERY strong and can blind you to a really sh*t deal. I understand the tendency is to take the easy road and its nly human sometimes, but just think about WHY it is easy (Im not saying the rex cadetship is easy or otherwise as I have no experience with it). Maybe because the tradeoff for having a "guaranteed" job is crap wages (whole paying back a loan) and no career progression for 7 years?

Have a serious think about wanting to go to rex versus "that difficult first job in GA", sure the GA route mightnt be a walk in the park, but if your into life experiences then not much beats it and when you do get the front end of a turboprop/jet of your choice then it makes it all that much sweeter.

Half the reason people whinge about not being able to get a go in GA is because they stay in a capital city and dont "head north" or they have done the bare basic cpl and have not "value added" with other experience that can sweeten the resume to that first Charter employer.

I'll just say again, read through pprune, search for threads about heading north (although you seem to be already up there in Darwin!) and weigh it all up against a cadetship which is of ZERO benefit to the cadet. Te cadetship was only started because rex refused to pay their pilots any more, so they were ALL LEAVING.