PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - About to start gliding lessons
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2010, 22:32
gpn01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robin
I'm in two minds about that

Over the last year I've been to 2 sites to start my return to gliding. Both use the flying list method.

I have been to clubs where you can book a time, but where that happens, unless there is a professional staff, you can find there is no-one there to help.

When I took up power flying I got frustrated that people just turned up for their booking then p*ss*d off. No-one stayed around.

Gliding is a time-consuming, frustrating sport that requires commitment. Even more so than with power flying. It is not something that can easily be booked.
Robin, it's a real shame that you've experienced clubs that have promoted something that they're not equipped to deliver. At my club we have a mix of professional staff and volunteer members. This provides the capability and capacity to deliver what's promised. If you're booked in for an instructional session at 10:00, unless there's problems with the weather or you don't show up, then you'll have a briefing and be flying soon after.

You're right that gliding CAN be a time consuming activity, particularly when compared to the book-turn up-fly-leave approach that power flying schools tend to operate. As I've mentioned in posts on another thread, in the UK gliding is done with a CLUB...which entails a club approach - e.g. collaboration, working together, etc (which is part of the fun that appeals to many). Powered flying is usually done from flying SCHOOLS...which means a more regimented timetable (which works better for some people).