PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New airport measures not enough: expert
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2010, 22:10
RedTBar
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we all know that the Israeli's are a hard bunch and don't take $h!t from anyone.
We also know that Tel Aviv would probably be one of the hardest if not the hardest airports to hit even though it would be very high on a number of groups hit lists.
It's easy to say that the Israeli's security at Ben Gurion airport is more efficient and less invasive and could teach Australian airports a thing or two.

The problem as we all know is that of ego and to get the Australian government and airport authorities to take advice and learn from the Israeli's would be like asking Tony Abbott to legalise abortion and wear board shorts when he's on the beach.

The real question is how does it compare to American and European airports in size and passenger volume?

Would their techniques work with airports the size of O'Hare,JFK,Heathrow,Frankfurt etc,

Can you imagine stopping every car that was driving into those airports and asking "How are you?"

Even a 30 second friendly chat would have cars backed up for miles and the author talks about only a 30 or 40 minute security delay compared to Western airports.
Has anyone every tried driving into or out of a Rolling Stones concert compared to a normal drive to the arena?

The other point is that I doubt that the Israeli's use private contractors and do things on the cheap like Australia and allow anyone who has airside access to sidestep security and that means pilots or cleaners.

The Israelification would also mean a huge and I mean immense military presence.

Israel because of their position and past history does have the military to do this on a per capita basis and maybe America as well but not us.

We probably have 90% of our military overseas at the moment.