PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S-92 to deliver UK SAR-H service
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2010, 19:32
scottishbeefer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it that folks persist in saying GANNET mainly does medtxfrs? Last year the boys did 447 jobs and the majority were rescues, although they led in every other stat as well.

Tasking is mainly north (Lochaber/Glencoe) or south (Galloways/N Lakes) - mainly mountain jobs, and east/west is quite a bit less but we're also doing more work in the Cairngorms and SE Borders with snags at Lossie/Boulmer. 45% of all jobs are at night and almost always on NVG but the Sea Searcher radar is still doing us proud for those night/IMC transits. Not sure how you get across the Crinan Canal area with an S92 in IMC? That might be cutting off a major transit route when the weather's grim. Presumably the FIKI clearance is good?

I'm afraid that there's the same no of secondary duties at Gannet as any other RN sqn (such is life). It's not true to say it's the only RN unit with a Lt Cdr WAFU as CO (what about 705, 750, 771, 849, 854, 857?)

PWK is mighty expensive though, beyond what you might expect for a regional airport and I'm sure GLA is cheaper in the long-run. The RN is looking at options for FOB's for Merlin/whoever.

Agree with disc-loading comments. My MRT contacts tell me they're never keen to work with the S92's due to downwash and a few other reasons.