PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Arann
Thread: Aer Arann
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2010, 18:00
bananamanuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCY-IOM

I'm disappointed to keep reading that the ATR72-500's are likely to lose their current distinctive livery, although I do hope the EI Regional branding does good for both airlines. I'd just like to see RE with a fleet of fresh, smart looking aircraft. They did a lot to market the 500's credentials, I hope all that doesn't go by the wayside.

I'm also interested to know what will happen regarding IOM-LCY. Doesn't RE base 1 x 72-500 on IOM for this route, and RE was the airline that got this aircraft certified for LCY operations, i.e. the first airline to do so.

These ex-Delta Connections ATR72's (the ones listed as coming in from Air Contractors) are 212 designation not 212A, the main external variation is the number of prop blades on the engines. If the 500's are being repainted in EI Regional colours, for EI Regional ops, what will be used for LCY-IOM? Is a 212 the same as a 212A for the purposes of LCY ops?

There's been little said from RE about the next batch of new 500's. An article in the Irish Times yesterday said RE made a "not insignificant" loss in 2009 and is projected to turn that around to a small loss in 2010. So I guess it's perfectly reasonable to assume that they may have been delayed. In one of this month's Airliner magazines there's a supplement listing UK/Irish airlines fleets, that makes interesting reading because 5 x 42's listed, including EI-EHH, 2 x 201's, 4 x 72 500's (i.e. the current batch) then lists EI-RES, T, U, V as delivery 2010 plus 2 more in 2010 and 2 more i 2011. Making a fleet of 19 in total by 2011? Also this makes 12 x 500's vs the 10 publicly ordered. Am somewhat confused by this!!

I really hope RE don't lose focus, i.e. just concentrate on EI Regional. They've got a loyal customer base so I hope they keep developing both RE brands and EI Regional.