PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 13th Feb 2010, 17:36
ericthewellread

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 777 instrument proficiency check prior to interview?

Capt Krunch,

Thank you for your response.
I have about 15,000 total time,
2629 narrow body P.I.C. (Fokker-100),
2152 on B-777 as FO. Of the 2152, 672 was as P1 U/S (Cruise Capt.)
This would be when the designated Captain was out of the cockpit & I was the PIC in his stead.
So, no designated PIC 777 time as Commander. I do have over 4400 as Boeing 727, 757, 767 FO.

All this experience may or may not make me attractive as 777 DEC to QR. It does exceed their stated minimums for DEC. Apparently it was good enough to be called to an interview.

My concern was in showing up for the interview being non-current on anything & then being sent home because QR or the GCAA could not let me start their training because I was non-current.

Buying 777 sim time will be very expensive & I don’t have the money, so I don’t want to have buy my own instrument proficiency check, but if being non-current really is a barrier to beginning QR training, as Time Traveler’s interview experience suggests, then that is why I raise the question here, to others that might know the answer.

There are thousands of pilots world wide who have now been unemployed for so long, that their currency has lapsed. This makes them (and me) unqualified to even be considered for an interview with virtually every employer I have looked at. QR was unique, in that currency was not a stated requirement, (unlike Emirates, who now state: "All applicants must be current within the last 12 months prior to the date of joining." The fact that currency on type (or currency on any type) was not a QR requirement, may have been an unintentional oversight, as they may actually require it, if what they told Time Traveler also applies to everyone else, I.E. "...have a current IR (LPC) PRIOR to starting a type rating course." In my online search for the relevant GCAA regulation, I have not found any such reference to it being a requirement to being current prior to starting training. Perhaps someone else knows which section is being referred to.

On the Flying Experience page of the application, it does have blocks for "Date of Last Flight," so the lack of currency should be obvious to employment personnel, but who knows?

I am sure you know more about such matters.

If what you said is true: "...One this for sure, paying for a currency rating will not help you as they are more than willing to take care of that if your successful anyway." Then that would be great, as it would save me from spending money that I don’t have!

ericthewellread