PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2010, 10:02
sky9

Keeping Danny in Sandwiches

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a common thread between this accident and other earlier ones and that is the lack of awareness in the cockpit of what is happening with the largest flight control on the aircraft.

On Boeing 75,76 and 77 aircraft the control column and rudder pedals show you what is happening to all the flying controls except the stabiliser that goes on it own merry way with the only indication a small green indicator out of the pilot's field of view.

When flying the classic 737 I always found that the clanking of the stab trim wheel was a good indication of something happening when the autopilot was engaged that might need my attention, whether it was a minor jet upset or lack of power on the approach. When I converted onto the 767 the ability of the stab-trim to wind on loads of stabiliser without any obvious indication to the crew was, I thought a retrograde step.

This isn't the first time that a proper stab trim wheel would have alerted the crew to a problem (still engaged A/P and falling AS) and increased their awareness of the situation.

It is a shame that Mr P A Sleight & Mr R D G Carter didn't add another Safety Recommendation to the Accident Report: Bring back the Stab trim wheel to increase aircrew awareness of what is happening with the Stab Trim during all phases of flight.
They might also have added another. Double engine failure on finals:...........G/A flaps. We could call it the PB recall item. Well done mate, it wasn't just you that was able to speak to your wife afterwards.