PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Charter Airlines General Feelings?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2002, 11:06
EPRman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vertex,

I work for a major UK charter airline and really couldn't recommend it at present. There is too much uncertainty in the holiday market.

As far as my personal roster goes I have been rostered 93 hours this month and I have days off and 5 days leave too! Having said that I haven't been messed around too much this summer, but other people have.

We have the unfortunate situation of temporary commands where once people have worked hard and finally been promoted they are demoted after six months. We have temporary first officers who will be laid off at the beginning of November. There is no prospect of commands for a long time for suitable FO's

With regard to beancounters and safety our Managing Director proposed the idea of performance related pay for captains ( think about it!) which to his credit the DFO rejected outright.

There have been a small number of resignations, mainly FO's, with the rumour of a lot more in the pipeline.

There is the prospect of a merger with another company, no doubt resulting in another bloodbath regarding seniority and possible further redundancies.

And so it goes on.

However good blokes to fly with and varied routes ( pity about night flying! )

All I can say vertex is that if your already employed with a reasonable outfit stay put for now and wait a few months. And having done both, when you do move on, I would suggest you choose scheduled flying.

Regards.

Last edited by EPRman; 6th Jul 2002 at 16:32.