PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 13th Feb 2010, 08:02
Time Traveller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt Krunch,

I'll happily defer to your knowledge as you're there on the spot. But I can tell you my experience which was -

In the introdutory brief, one of the slides clearly states that to be eligible for selection, a current IR is needed. I raised an eyebrow, as I knew my application showed I was not current, but I left it to the interview to bring it up. When I did, that was pretty much the end of the interview. I explained that I would be current the moment I step out of the sim from the 777 LPC, but it got me no where. They said it was not at the discretion of the company, but the GCAA made that rule. They seemed surprised I had slipped through and ended up at Doha.

So either they have no noticed the lack of currency...

or as seems more likely, rules become negotiable when faced with a highly experienced and type rated candidate; I wasn't rated on 3X0 or 777, not current and relatively light on hours compared to some.

If it were me, and I really wanted the job (I didn't); I would renew my 777 LPC beforehand, and then Eric would have an absolute shoe-in. He might be OK otherwise, but quite possibly a panel member will shake his head, and that will be that - Back to the pool for a couple of days. (Nothing wrong with that - QR looked after me really well, J class seats, hotel, nice food, friendly folk - Sure beats having to fork out for travel to DXB for EK)