PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Local pilots fly off the handle at expat perks
Old 13th Feb 2010, 03:17
raven11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, like the public, and I’m sure most of our flight crew, support the CEP’s in their quest.

However, CEP’s not receiving housing assistance is not discrimination, it is cost cutting by the Company. Pure and simple. The Company is in the business of making money; can anyone argue that they’re not good at it? The Company will always look for ways to maximize their profit….unless it hurts them in the eyes of the Hong Kong public.

Good Post Timbit, some sound points. However, after reading your post, I still feel in my heart that the CEP’s have a valid case to make. I also feel the public would agree. Given the DFO’s quick response….I take it he agrees as well.

The Company cannot ignore public perception. And the public, not to put too fine a point on it, would stand squarely behind the CEP’s.

I don’t agree with the DFO’s argument that if housing were to be paid to the CEP’s then all other staff could argue for it as well. If other staff members want pilot benefits, then let them become pilots…as many are choosing to do. If pilots on a base want housing allowance….well then, they should never have left Hong Kong. If you were recruited on a base and you want housing assistance…move to Hong Kong. Based pilots can’t have it both ways.

We all used to be on one package, the pilot package, and we all need to work on restoring that one package. The cost of living, of which the major component is housing, in Hong Kong is prohibitive. Cadet pilots, after a period of paying back their training costs, should be on the same pay packet as the rest of us. That is only fair, and that is exactly how the public would see it. Hong Kong based CEP's should get housing assistance.

Dragon…..why must you resort to sarcasm and ridicule when making your arguments. It only serves to discredit you. You come across as a bully. Some of the points you make are sound, but your personal attacks personally turn me off. Stop it.

The CEP’s should be able to count on all of our support. Maybe they’re making too strong a point by arguing discrimination, but shouldn’t we, especially us senior crew, try to guide and help steer them straight?

This is one battle they are poised to win!