PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2010, 21:24
fredjhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot training in WW2

There were 44 NCOs on the course, but 8 Army Officers, all 2nd Lieutenants, joined us and mixed in very easily; though one or two "disappeared" before we finished. When pupils failed to live up to standards they left the course the same day and, very often, we had no prior warning to say good-bye. I had five hours dual, then a 20 minute Check from the Flight Commander who sent me Solo. The Oxford was a delight to fly and I enjoyed every minute. All landings had to be on 3 points and I never saw aircraft wheeled in on the two main wheels until after the war, - except Liberators.
The autumn and winter weather were the main hindrance to flying, with frequent mists rolling up from the Bristol Channel. The instructors saved low flying exercises for these days. If flying was impossible the instructors passed paper and pencils round and collected a shilling from each pupil. Then one would say, "Draw a map of the local flying area within, say, twenty, thirty or more miles from Lyneham." After 15 minutes the papers were marked by the instructors, giving points for all distinguishing landmarks in the area. We received our papers back, showing our marks and their criticisms, and the pupil with the best mark won the kitty. When flying dual at any time the instructor would ask, "What course and distance to base?" It was an awful 'black' to be lost.
Our Oxfords still had no radios, and communication was by Gosport tube. In formation flying we used the old hand signals devised during WW1.
Without instructors at our sides pupils flew closer than the specified distance and some got too close. One pupil chewed No 1's wing tip off and also lost his starboard airscrew. Both managed to land safely and got away with it as an "accident." A lot of flying was done under the hood and we had a relief landing strip at Wroughton where we practised blind landings. The instructor gave directions to line up at 1,000 feet and said when the aircraft was above what might have been the Outer Marker. Then he called "Green, Yellow or Red," on the descent, until "Inner Marker", then "Land or Overshoot." There was a 60 foot delay on the Oxford's altimeter which gave the height to close the throttles and round out to land.
One morning in the armament room, when we were stripping and assembling Brownings, an airman opened the door and announced the King was in the building. The Sergeant Instructor did not have time to decide whether it was fact or a joke when the King arrived, surrounded by his entourage. I was at the front bench and the King asked if I had started flying. Before I could answer, Air Commodore Critchley stepped in and told him we were at the second stage of training. King George nodded and said, "Enjoying it? A great sensation, isn't it?" Then they were gone. All the overseas instructors were presented to the King, and Wheaton was like a dog with two tails. fredjhh