PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confined area power check - tips and techniques
Old 12th Feb 2010, 16:45
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Shawn...I guess until the industry demands such knowledge, it will not be given. It would be my guess that it has to do with liability---but I'm sure you knew that huh?

As for rule of thumb..I use the mountain flying technique that I learnt from Larry Doll, (former chief instructor at Rocky Mountain Helicopters). This technique supposedly works for all Bell products---I routinely land my L4 upto 10k and occasionally upto 12K during fire season and it works.

On final approach, flare the aircraft to a slight nose up attitude, (be slow and methodical with most of you power already applied), to be a little short and 100ft above any obstacles on your path---hold the slight flare till speed falls through ETL and you will feel a slight shudder, level, apply the last of the power and note:

1. Pedal position
2. N1
3. TOT

To hover IGE it will take an ADDITIONAL:

1. One inch of left pedal
2. 12% N1
3. 35 degrees TOT

To hover OGE will take and ADDITIONAL:

1. One and Half inches of left pedal
2. 15% N1
3. 50 degrees TOT

IF you do not have the additional pedal, N1 or TOT available before hitting any red line limits, you are in a position to nose forward and fly away.

If you have the available pedal, N1 and TOT, you can continue the approach in a nice controlled manner all the way to the ground. The mark of a perfect approach is to hold the collective in one position, the aircraft will settle all the way and "kiss" the ground and then lift off again to about 2 feet as ground effect kicks in.

I have tested this "rule of thumb" at most weights, lots of Alt/Temp variations and it works for me. The biggest thing to learn, if this is not your standard procedure, is the slow/methodical approach.

As for the original question of having enough power to get out---this comes down to being at "one" with you aircraft and understanding all the performance. I am lucky in that I fly the same aircraft most of the year---I know all of her quirks. By using the above technique, and having a cheat sheet in the aircraft, I am able to make a reasonable determination of whether I can get out or not.