PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Largest Piston Airliner?
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2010, 14:33
philbky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re the Deux Ponts, it featured in many a publication in the 1950s concerning London Airport, as it then was, due to the fact that Air France used it as a back up aircraft for their Paris schedules (back up both in terms of replacement aircraft and extra capacity).

I remember them in the 1950s when they seemed huge compared to everything else in front of Queens Buildings and later, in the 1960s, I'd regularly see one on the way to school as they flew an early morning freight flight into Manchester.

The last Air France one I saw was at Toussus le Noble, unfortunately in bits as it was scrapped in early 1979 and was still lying around at the time of the Paris show that year. I drove right up to it, parked next to the ex Senegal Govt Constellation, also awaiting scrapping and was able to climb aboard what was left of the cockpit.

Here's a photo taken the same month with the outer fin of the Connie showing at the rear. F-BASX - Air France Breguet 763 Deux Ponts Aircraft - Toussus-Le-Noble Photo @ Airplane-Pictures.net By the time I was there the Deux Ponts' the nose had been cut of and the cockpit section was lying at an angle on the ground.

Of course the official name was the Breguet Provence, the military version being the Sahara and Air France called them the Universel when used as freighters - and weren't those upward opening lower fuselage doors impressive?

I seem to recall 1950s publications talking of a large percentage of wood being used in the fuselage construction but don't remember seeing too much wood lying around at Toussus. Anyone like to comment?

Last edited by philbky; 12th Feb 2010 at 21:36.