PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Couple of questions regarding a JAR PPL
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2010, 10:38
ShaunLanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of questions regarding a JAR PPL

Ok so i've been interested in flying since a young age and would really like to start my PPL. I've chosen aganist a NPPL because i would like to add ratings to a JAR PPL and maybe one day break into instructing etc.

So my local flying club does it for £6,300. My question is, is this expensive?

I've looked into courses abroad because i know they are cheaper but i really want to avoid it if i can, for a few reasons:

Visa to the US, i've heard stories of them taking it away from you and losing all your money
Not sure i can get 3/4 weeks off work
If i did it at a local flying club, they would know me and upon completion of a Flying instructer course might give me a part time job at the weekends.
Also im not sure if i want to cram all the flying into a short time.

So regarding the UK market, is £6,300 for a JAR PPL expensive, this includes all flying, exams, and books also club membership (I quite like the idea of flying competitions etc)

I've looked around on this forum and i've seen a few people getting it for around £4000. But that could be on the other side of the UK. Im wondering if paying that little bit extra close to home might benefit me because:
I dont have to spend lots of money on petrol travelling
The flying club would know me, i might even get to know someone who knows someone who knows someone that might be able to swing me a job once my hours build up.

In summary, whats the average price for a JAR PPL, would i be paying through the roof for mine? Would it be more beneficial to me personally considering the points listed above?

I've googled JAR PPLs and im just not getting the right info i need, my reason for posting is someone might have already gone through this and know off the top of their head what the answer is. Sorry if i've rambled its my first time posting and if i seem a little naive please dont be too harsh, im new to the industry!
Thanks in advance!