PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TV News Helicopter Crash in Brazil with Video
Old 12th Feb 2010, 10:13
VeeAny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q

An interesting question about when and where.

What I recall of my history of Tail Rotor Failure Training.
During PPL training I don't believe it was mentioned [1995-1998]
Edited to Add it was part of an R44 type rating in 1998, with autorotation being suggested as the option. No discussion of control jams, loss of drive or loss of components.
During FI training no mention [1999]
During FI renewal was demoed stuck neutral by Philip Sheldon [2000 or 2001]

Then had to demonstrate it back, which was easy having just watched him do it.

Being naturally inqusitive ( in case you hadn't noticed) I then set about trying learn about different peoples techniques and effectively expanded my envelope of Tail Rotor failure training skills based upon those techniques.

I think I built up from stuck neutral / feet off through to stuck right then to stuck left.

Because of the nature of training out of Biggin Hill when I was there and us not being able to do circuits on a regular basis I would then use the transit time back from Redhill to set the student up for an engine off or tail rotor malfunction of some kind to our FATO (big patch of grass) almost every time.

I suppose experience helps you plug some of the holes in your training in any subject but it should not be that way in aviation.

It is interesting to note what Sir Niall Dementia says about his experience being very different from training.

GS

Last edited by VeeAny; 12th Feb 2010 at 14:59.