PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Local pilots fly off the handle at expat perks
Old 12th Feb 2010, 09:56
CXChildLabour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
69er,

Having said that, are you suggesting that a local CN should get full expat benefits when he is living in his home country with family nearby compared to an expat that has made the sacrifice to live abroad in a foreign place leaving family behind with poor prospects of being able to take a future base???
So are you suggesting that all expats are getting housing allowance just because they HAD UNWILLINGLY stay in HKG??? In that case may I suggest that those who are WILLING to be relocated back home at short notice may get the allowance while in HKG, as for those who CHOOSES to stay in HKG don't? Cause I don't really see any sacrifices made in the latter case as they're here BY CHOICE.

The cadet program really should have been open to anyone and everyone right from the start, and with the bigger pool of applications how many less 'locals' would have bee hired???
I can assure you that if they opened up the pool to anyone and everyone from the start, this whole ordeal would've taken place even earlier. Imagine your next door neighboor back home coming to HKG and making half as much as you do here, I bet he'd be even more pissed than we are at this point.

but you don't seem to have a problem with the fact that you as a Chinese Canadian were able to get employment at Cathay compared to many non Chinese Canadians that would have jumped at the opportunity to be a CEP
If you put it that way, I sure have problems with the fact that those DEFO's were able to get employment on the base with Cathay compared to many who would've jumped at the opportunity to get the slot but were rejected by various reasons (fleet, rank, joker, etc). You're complaining about how people got hired by the company and thus should suffer for life? What a load of BULL. In that case, could you please write to the company and make sure NOBODY hired on the base EVER come to HKG on expat terms cause they were hired to work on the base in the first place.

And next time if you wanna make your argument valid, please get your facts straight. You're completely ignoring the fact (which the AOA confirmed with the media as well) that there are CEP's who were hired on DIRECT ENTRY TERMS yet were put on LOCAL TERMS once the company found out they own a HK ID card. This is hard proof that the company local terms wasn't designed for ex-cadets, it was designed to DISCRIMINATE those with a HK ID card. If they put EVERYONE who has a HK ID card on local terms, doesn't matter when and how he joined, then it wouldn't be a discimination issue, but that is NOT the case so far. And if you argue that cadets deserve to be on local terms FOR LIFE because of the shortcut and resources used, well then you can also go up to 3rd floor and make sure they put the INSTRUCTOR CADETS on local terms cause they have taken a shortcut and used company resources as well.

As much as I appreciate AOA's effort in helping out the CEP group so far, I'm not a big fan of the new title they've given us cause it's NOT TELLING THE TRUTH. The so-called "Cadet Entry Pilots" group consists of people who DID NOT join via the cadet programme and neither will it include ALL that did. The original title LEP "Locally Employed Pilots" describes the group MUCH MORE ACCURATELY.