PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Local pilots fly off the handle at expat perks
Old 12th Feb 2010, 09:52
Dragon69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mullah Lite,

If the distinction you are making is because of leaving family behind, and I'm assuming you are excluding spouse and children, then there are plenty of those in the CEP rank who are the same, myself included.
Okay granted there are some CEPs that would be in the same position as an expat which makes the issue even more complex, but I am limiting my argument with cxchildlabor to those CEPs that have a very strong connection to Hong Kong, ie: born and bred, family ties, etc. The main issue here (putting aside special cases) is whether a 'local CEP' should be entitled to expat benefits. If you believe that they should because of same rank same pay, then you should be fighting for expat benefits for everyone, including those on a base, otherwise your argument doesn't hold up and you yourself are discriminating against the based crews. Now it is easy to say, well okay then expat benefits to everyone to justify your demand and argument, but is that being realistic. There are realistic and justifiable demands, I am sorry but this isn't one of them!

the introduction of the instructor course in ADL, these guys will have more hours in bugsmashers than some in the regular courses but zero turbine time plus a 4 year jumpstart to the CX seniority list
Yes agree with you it is utter BS and I support you fully on the above issue.

the global CEP program, no guarantee of slots for the local hongers anymore, which is what it was originally designed for as kids here have zero opportunity to mow lawns while working their way through flight school
If the company is having a difficult time recruiting locally what other options do they have?? Furthermore, as I mentioned earlier, if you don't want a distinction between expats and local CEPs, why should the CEP program be exclusive to locals from Hong Kong??

The SLS deduction which carried a 7% penalty to overall income v.s expats' estimated 3.5%
Huh???? How do you reckon????

an FOC ticket with 11Y priority to get back to work vs 4Y, an education allowance which does not allow us to send our kids overseas unlike the expat package, the years of service that the Prestwick guys had to do before being allowed to join the seniority list.....and this is not even an exhaustive comparison
Yes so you should have the same FOC priority as myself to get back home, no arguments there from me! Problem is that the CEP benefits were designed with the born and bred hongkers in mind, there were no allowances made for Chinese or non Chinese CEPs born and bred outside of Hong Kong or with very little connection to Hong Kong....and yes improvements to those areas are long overdue.