PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Local pilots fly off the handle at expat perks
Old 12th Feb 2010, 08:04
Dragon69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at least there should be a set point where it's all equal and their effort and experience should be recognized. If you can give hard prove how our CEP CN or even STC's are simply not as worthy as the next person on the same grade, be my guess and I'll bow down to you.
For one thing CEP CNs do get housing allowance, granted it may not be as high as what an expat gets, but it is something, and I know of no expat that think they should not receive it. Having said that, are you suggesting that a local CN should get full expat benefits when he is living in his home country with family nearby compared to an expat that has made the sacrifice to live abroad in a foreign place leaving family behind with poor prospects of being able to take a future base???

If you are suggesting that eventually there should be no distinction between an 'expat' and a 'local' then why was there a push in the past 20 years to hire 'local talent'??? The cadet program really should have been open to anyone and everyone right from the start, and with the bigger pool of applications how many less 'locals' would have bee hired???

It is fine and dandy to use discrimination to argue your point, but you don't seem to have a problem with the fact that you as a Chinese Canadian were able to get employment at Cathay compared to many non Chinese Canadians that would have jumped at the opportunity to be a CEP (albeit now it is different), well isn't that a form of discrimination?? You can whip out you HK ID card when it suits you and mock the expat community here in HKG, but you sure are just as quick to whip out your Canadian passport too!

Last edited by Dragon69; 12th Feb 2010 at 08:42.