PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2010, 07:13
cac_sabre

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
P2-RDB

Hiya Chimbu Chuckles,

I am 95 per cent sure this is RDB.
The pilot was Dangerous Dave, the slide was taken by my father - in -law about 79-80, for some reason I believe it was taken at Menyamya but I am probably wrong.

I wasnt familiar with the differences in Twotters, other than the early versions had a rounder / shorter nose. I have 3 "memories" of Lae Twotters:
1. My first wet season morning in Nadzab tower about 4 weeks after I first arrived.. Lae and Nadzab were socked in and a Talair twotter was in the stack over the Lae NDB waiting its turn for an approach into Nadzab, it was about No 5 in the approach sequence and didnt have the fuel to hang around...diverted to Bulolo. (I still shudder at this baptism of fire)
2. Twotter pulling off the taxiway at Lae onto the grass, passing 4 on the taxiway to enter the runway and belt down to Pacific Helicopters. Pilot abandons plane full of Pax to enter helicopter and off to rescue Maxy from the Huon Gulf after ditching the Baron
3. Twotter cleared to enter CTA via the Blackcat or Bulolo gap ( I forget which),
on first contact pilot radios "unable to maintain altitude".. was about 3000 ft above cleared level and STILL climbing at a rapid rate being caught in some updarft!

Yep the next one will be RDB...more pictures would be nice to help with the process

cheers
wal