PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA NPRM - Pilot Certification Standards
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2010, 04:02
Caboclo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Typical of the gov't, all of these proposals completely miss the cause of the accident. The ATP-rated captain wasn't monitoring his airspeed, forgot he had reduced power to flight idle, and badly botched the stall recovery. Had nothing to do with the low time FO, or commuting, or fatigue. Had everything to do with the fact that his stall recovery training had been on paper only, not in the sim or the airplane. (I'm not saying that fatigue is not a problem, or that commuting is not subject to abuse, just saying those issues were not responsible for this accident.) I think the whole issue is training, and I think the improvements in training need to go all the way back to the initial phase. If I were king of the world, all private pilot training would take place in old-fashioned tail-draggers, with spin training mandatory. Learn the hard way right from the start, and that experience will pay dividends through-out your career. Initial training should also include 5 hours IMC and some significant "black-hole" landings and take-offs. Additionally, all type-ratings and airline training should include imminent stalls in the plane, and full stalls in the sim. All IFR training should include 20 hours IMC, and IFR currency requirements should be much higher. As far as experience levels go, I admit to shuddering when I think of the 300 hour pilots in the right seat of an airliner; however, I must admit that they've done well from a historical view point. Off the top of my head, I can't recall an airline accident that was blamed on a low-time FO. That might change the day a captain has a heart attack and dies during the FO's first day on the job, but over-all it's not an issue. Modern planes are so automated that the only reason 2 pilots are still required is in case one becomes incapacitated. Therefore, the right seat of an airliner is as good a place for a newbie to learn the ropes as the right seat of a trainer. If you're going to raise experience requirements, raise them for the captains, not the FOs.