PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs for a rookie?
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2010, 00:53
albertaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit the Road!!

"you're gonna have to leave the comforts of home"

This is bang on! I can't say how important it is. If you want to get on with your career, you will have to suck it up, pack your life up into that shi#%y car of yours, hit the road and make things happen. Instructing (imho) is the easy way to get hours, but are they really the ones you want? You will be great at making radio calls, telling people to watch their airspeeds, and keeping that right seat warm. I am already surpassing my intructors in experience (and hours soon enough)who taught me from my first solo after only a year in the bush. Nothing against you intructors out there, just my views
From the outsider's prospective, I have been lucky to get a job flying, but I think sometimes you have to make your own luck. It is no coincidance I have upgraded my position from rampie to SE pilot to ME pilot while changing numerous companies (due to better oppritunities). It is simply hard work, a good attitude, and being in the right place at the right time. I garuntee you if I stayed at home, I'd still be paying to fly and surfing forums looking for the answer.
Get out there and take control of your future.

At my company, if we had someone show up, show some initiative and stick around for a few days, they would be hired to the ramp for sure. No, I won't give the name or town (that would make it too easy!), but I'm sure there are many other operators out there who are the same.

So.... , sorry for that crazy rant, but I see this question so often I had to let loose a little. Bottom line is, if you are comfortable right now, sipping a beer in your parents beautiful house, your not trying hard enough!!! You'll be on the right track when a peice of plywood on some empty boxes is your kitchen table.

Sincerely, I wish you Good Luck.

Ok, my rant is done!

Last edited by albertaboy; 12th Feb 2010 at 03:06.