PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low level overwater ops: radar discussion
Old 11th Feb 2010, 18:32
Marty H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(lets say 100ft cloud base, 100mtres vis, w/v 40 kts) let down to the base of a 300ft cliff)
All,

I too would like some information on the use of 360 degree radar in the above scenario.
100 meters is 0.05nm. That’s quite a resolution.

I have only ever had the 120 radar so I know no different. We usually have to go to another location along the cliff line where we can let down more comfortably before moving closer
More modern a/c can have fairly high cross wind limits. I believe the AW139 has 40kts demonstrated crosswind and 30kts downwind with power to weight almost double that of the Seaking.

The inertial in space autohover, moving map, terrain mapping and improved homer are certainly helpful aids.

As far as all these toys are concerned, this will have to be clarified on SAR H

The CAA have accepted it will be a free standing SAR AOC under national regulations. Ie Nothing to do with JAR/EASA. So it starts with a blank sheet and the CAA then sign it off if they are happy.
Maintenance will of course be EASA.

The CAA has always taken a sensible view on Lifesaving, however their history with training for the task has always been a little too restrictive in my opinion.

On the face of it though the 360degree radar with qualified and dedicated operator does seem to have the edge.

Regards

Marty