PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2010, 18:14
suninmyeyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jumbo jet

You wrote

They were behind 038, but in a 744. Its true OATs were at a very low level, so low that many twins were asking for lower levels. Indeed in the 744 the Low Fuel Temp illuminated, so speed was increased to try & increase the fuel temp. He increase to .88, but to no avail!! Eventually he & other 744s were also all asking for decent, but amongst this chaos a lone voice was heard asking for further climb, BA038. The sarcastic conversation on the flt deck followed along the lines of "he a brave boy"
The 777 has a different shaped wing to the 747-400 and cold fuel temperatures are not normally a problem. Although the 777 may have been flying higher than the 747-400s it is likely that it's fuel tank temperatures were warmer than what the 747-400s were experiencing.

The 038s fuel temp never got colder than minus 34 degrees with a fuel freeze point of minus 47 degrees. Obviously the 747-400s if they had to increase speed had considerably colder fuel.

As for S.F.L.Y. I get the feeling that if I or the other pilots on this forum were driving and our car went into a skid we would react instinctively. I suspect S.F.L.Y. would start thinking about theories and friction coefficients and what would be the best solution to his predicament. Too late.

I suspect that the stress and trauma experienced by the 038 crew in being involved in an accident that was not their fault is probably less than the trauma of having nearly two years of armchair experts pontificating on how they should have handled the situation better.

Best of luck Pete. I tried your scenario on the sim, absolutely horrendous feeling running out of height and speed and that is while knowing you are in a sim and cannot die. We did it a few times, could not make the runway either.

When's the book coming out?