PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of Control In-Flight: Pilot Training Issues
Old 11th Feb 2010, 14:22
goldfish85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain Burks,

I took the Calspan in-flight upset-recovery course a couple of years ago. What most impressed me was the initial pre-training upset encounter in the Lear. I had practiced the "Pittsburgh scenario" many times to the point that a lateral-directional recovery became automatic although I was never very happy with my performance.

In the Calspan course, we performed all of the recoveries in a fixed base sim the day before the flight. In my pre-training encounters, one was a lateral upset (aileron actuator hardover or a Roselawn departure). I did my well-rehersed "Pittsburgh scenario" recovery -- full aileron/full rudder, when that's not enough unload to make the ailerons more effective. It's amazing how fast the Lear ended up on its back. The IP (with whom I had flown many many years prior) was laughing his --- off.

Later in the training, I had a rudder actuator hardover. The difference from the simulator was striking. One's head is thrown to the side by full rudder at 250 knots. In fact, I called engine failure.

In my opinion, the standard hexapod simulator presents misleading cues in this event. If you couple that with poor aerodynamic models, I think we really need to rethink how we train for Loss of Control.

Goldfish