PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2010, 12:58
Just wondering

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear CPS - absolutely spot on !!

I've had a few engine failures in my time, a depress, an evac, a bunch of RTOs etc but the thing which gave me the only fright I've ever had in an airliner was the airpeed tape on my screen going u/s (plus all the airspeed warnings) just before rotate on a dark, rainy night ...... it was the lack of time to deal with it which made my heart race.

I think people forget it takes time to understand what the problem is from all the indicators, warnings etc that are assaulting your senses before you can decide and act.... or not as the case may be - good airmanship sometimes dicates that you should not make a drama out of a crisis by pushing and pulling the wrong stuff.

...... I still fly ULH and I can tell you now I'm as sharp as a beachball after a 12-16 hour flight starting at 11pm - so to have to deal with a situation like this having been awake for 20-24 hours !!!!! ..... I can only think that many of the detractors/aerodynamic PHD holders have never done back of the clock stuff and have never had to deal with a major emergency made worse by having only seconds available.

I only pray that if something this bad ever happened to me that I could match the performance of Captain Burkill and his crew. Double engine failure seconds before landing and nobody dies ...... unbelievable result !!!