PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2010, 12:18
PETTIFOGGER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SFLY
The report is very confusing when saying the PF intended to disconnect the AP at 600 ft, then that he believed it was disconnected and finally that he omitted to do it because of some distraction until the stick shaker activates below 200 ft. I'm very curious to understand what could be distracting the PF, preventing him to control the aircraft for several hundred feet during an emergency situation, which is basically his primary and unique task.
The "some sort of distraction" to which you refer was quite obviously the double roll-back. See pages 139 to 141 of the AAIB report. Which parts of the report do you find confusing?
If the PF didn't realize that the AP was engaged while he thought it wasn't, it means the aircraft wasn't under control, which I don't consider satisfactory and I'm quite puzzled that nothing is being said about that.
Something has been said about it - p 139 of the report "However, as the aircraft descended through 600 ft he became aware of a problem with the engines, indicated by a split in the thrust lever positions. It is likely that, in attempting to understand the sudden and unprecedented problem with which he was presented he was distracted and thus omitted to disconnect the autopilot as this point.”
This is also appears at point 15 in the section on 'Conclusions', p.167.

the meaning of "omission"
please give a page reference for this.