PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TV News Helicopter Crash in Brazil with Video
Old 11th Feb 2010, 10:15
Helinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My condolences to friends and family of the pilot. May he RIP in the knowledge that in response to this incident he avoided any injury to third parties.

For TR failures the recommended EPs are really just best educated guesses as to what might be a good idea. No one really knows. Such failures are frequently categorised into "stuck pedal" and "TR failure" but life is more complicated than that and diagnosis can be a real problem. The failure may amount to more than a loss of TR control or thrust.

As others have said, there is only so much you can do in simulation on a real helicopter. Simulators have some advantages (you can crash them without consequences) but they only show what has been written into the code of the computer. If that code is not based on hard flight data, there is guesswork in there too.

We have to take every opportunity to learn from such awful incidents as this one, but I don't think most of us are criticising the pilot, even if our hastily chosen words might suggest that to some. In such incidents the pilot is beyond his previous experience and being subject to some very disorienting physical effects.

AnFI mentions that at some point the aircraft speed reduces to the point where a noticeable yaw occurs. If, god forbid, it had been me flying this, I might well have reduced speed at height to see at what point I began to lose yaw control. This would be a useful indicator, if I was contemplating a run-on landing.