PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tell me I was seeing things, Tell me the BBC did not show a Soldier dying
Old 11th Feb 2010, 09:39
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
I agree with those who say that there is nothing to see on this video, I'd be shocked and surprised if there were, for the convention is well known and observed on UK TV I think. To those who call for a "cinema verite" I would indeed commend it for those who do send our young men and women to war. Personally I baulk at the intro that even such edited pieces as this one attract that "I should warn you that there are scenes of violence and conflict in this clip", etc, so that sitting in the comfort and security of our suburban lounges we are not suddenly and unexpectedly disturbed. Having said that though, I don't think that there is a widespread misapprehension of what is the reality of this war. The sad and frequent processions through Wootten Bassett, the terribly maimed yet youthfully resilient patients at Headley Court are nightly shown on our tv's. If even more intense images were portrayed it would lead I think to a Vietnam style reaction where the graphic images night after night in US homes led to the political imperatives for withdrawal. Some might say good thing, but if the technology and freedom to broadcast uncensored had allowed it in WW2 would we have persevered? Would not the terrible suffering of the Merchant Seamen, the dreadful deaths of tens of thousands of bomber crews, the terrors of existence in the blitzed cities, etc all be seen as a reason to sue for peace and let the Nazis carry out their dreadful agenda unhindered by us? You need good reasons (very good ones!) to start wars and compelling ones to stop them before attaining your aims. "Shocked and outraged of Clapham" does not sufficiently cover either. Lastly and perhaps most importantly the NoK do matter and matter a lot. There is a tendency to patronise at the very least when they complain of lack of kit, poor leadership, or of simply being lied to. In this war at least they have been proved right time and again, but only in environments outside of the MOD/military complex. They need respect. Not showing their loved ones' final moments on nationwide TV should be a given in that respect.