PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 11th Feb 2010, 06:17
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And although the program was decent it did not go into detail about what happened.
I watched the program on the link provided, thank you very much for that royalterrace, and I don't believe the intention of the program was to explain why the crash occurred. Rather it used the crash to highlight what it saw as a major problem in the United States.

The program concentrated very heavily on the lack of regulatory oversight on regional carriers as they rapidly expanded and that the major carriers were entering into contractual links with the regionals but not taking any responsibility to ensure that they were up to safety standards.

By the end of the program I got the distinct impression that Colgan Air was not investing in training and were more concerned with the business of running an airline than with ensuring that it was a safe airline. It appeared to have had a checkered history of less than ideal standards and it was this that caught them out in Buffalo.

In an earlier post I hypothesised that the crew had been let down by improper training. While I still think that had a major part in the crash since viewing the program I now think that the captain of the flight may not have been up to the job when things were difficult. He failed something like 5 check flights at various times and this, combined with hasty or improper training, was a recipe for disaster.