PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My adventure in the Top End
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2010, 03:52
Erin Brockovich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Good post plainmaker, with some accurate generalisations. However I do believe the problem can be solved by integration. Within a few generations actually, started by some bold political (not politically motivated) decisions and strong aboriginal leadership.

As I see it, the first problem is separation or more commonly touted by the media and do-gooders as a racist divide. At the moment we see us and them. However in reality we are all Australian in this modern world of the 21st Century. Some are Australian of English, Irish, Italian, Greek etc descent. Others are Australian of Aboriginal descent. Imagine that………..all equals.

That is step 1. Without this change there is no point wasting time and resources to fix the problem.

Step 2 is the how. Difficult but not impossible.
The current generation of Aboriginals are lost to the welfare, missionary segregated alcohol fog created by white man of the last century.

However, the children of the current generation can learn to integrate into the modern society that we all live in. That is REALITY, and the sooner we understand that the nomadic hunter of 200 years ago doesn’t exist any more the better. No welfare, no special treatment that keeps us divided.

Australians of Aboriginal descent will take responsibility for themselves. They work and learn the value of money. They will be able to own property. But most importantly they will have a sense of self worth.

They can be proud of their culture and keep it alive as well as contributing to society as equals.

This may take a couple of generations for change in behaviour to take place, but it will happen.

But who am I kidding. No politician will ever have the balls to implement this idea – and the “Aboriginal Problem” will forever exist until they become extinct like an endangered species.

Oh by the way – happy topend adventure