PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Local pilots fly off the handle at expat perks
Old 11th Feb 2010, 01:55
tyson744

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 2 cents worth

I think the important point to note here is the ‘talent gap’. Without expat pilots and other expat roles that are filled at all levels in Cx there would be no airline. If I stayed in Australia working for Qantas (previous employer) I would not get the benefits discussed here. I made a choice, to leave my country and work overseas. LEP Cadets made a choice to stay in their own country and have their flying paid for. I paid for my lessons and took my licence to Hong Kong. Cadets are not bonded to Cx so they can make the same choice my family and I have made and leave their home and go overseas for more money. It’s quite simple really. If Cx were to scrap the housing allowance, for example, it is quite clear that most if not all expatriate pilots would have to leave Hong Kong and possibly Cathay Pacific as we simply could not afford to live in Hong Kong. Facts are , Cadets had their flying paid for (not mowing lawns or working in dingy bars to pay for lessons), had job security from day one, and have never been out of work. If they want more money they should be prepared to take risks and go looking for employment overseas.