PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbulence ends, airlines begin hiring pilots, crew
Old 10th Feb 2010, 19:10
thepotato232

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I may, a quick word to young pilots in India:

I've been meaning to say this for a while. You folks take an unnecessary amount of flak every time one of you shows up on a message board like this one asking about jobs for low timers. I think few people on this board understand the extent to which the country's prospective pilots have been sold on a fictional future. Aviation in India is so young, and it's managers so given to exaggeration, that there hardly exists a rational view of the industry's future. The constant promises of imminent hiring booms and pay raises that sound so tired and hollow to pilots elsewhere are still relatively new to you. The single best piece of advice I can give to beginning pilots (in India or anywhere else) is to relentlessly educate yourselves in all topics related to aviation. You will learn that, all around the world, there is a cottage industry that exists to propagate unrealistic views of the future of pilot labor, and profit from the resulting optimism. Not every projection of future hiring and salaries is false, but you need to be very careful when making life decisions based on such projections. You will be the ones to shape the future of your industry, and not everyone you speak to has your best interests at heart.

In short, hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Blue skies and tailwinds.