PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a career now as a pilot
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2010, 18:35
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 226 Likes on 87 Posts
wangus, it is with real genuine regret that I find myself vindicated and in the right. I'm sorry for you if you've put yourself between a rock and hard place by means of flying training. I've seen it so often over such a long period that I'm very familiar with your plight. Its often a lose-lose situation that blights peoples entire lives. Its heavy stuff and mostly for that reason I Moderate this forum - it matters. I hope you can hang on in there and make it in the end.

In the meantime I'll say something that's been said a thousand times before here but is still key:

Timing Is Everything In This Industry.

Now is a crap time. Hopefully in three years time it will be possible to make another assessment and conclude it is an OK time to start training. Since early 2007, right up to now, its been a crap time to start training. Nothing is going to change. Airlines haven't finished shrinking. The recession isn't over. What we have now is the public sector job losses, the tax rises and the further contraction of demand for air travel in the UK and Northern Europe.

Wait.

When times are good, its still difficult to get work, but it can be sweet. 2005 was the Prime Time to train and jobs were falling like leaves from the trees (almost).

Timing.

Always timing.