PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tell me I was seeing things, Tell me the BBC did not show a Soldier dying
Old 10th Feb 2010, 18:06
Op_Twenty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Soddim. Al Jazeera show fatalities, many British ex-BBC Journos work for Al Jazeera, where's the difference? If we're not careful we'll have a public even more detached from our conflicts than they already are and it's a lot easier to vote for sending our young men and women abroad if your conscience hasn't got to see the result of your decision. If you can't handle the consequences of military action then don't vote for it. Soon we'll have our returning troops being delivered in the dark hours to avoid adverse press coverage - as in the USA, at least we haven't started that yet. It is so important for this country to face up to the fact that if you are going to engage in a war then young people, mostly the underprivileged in society, will die; it's not pleasant but it is a fact. Why do we shy away from that? Any educated society should be responsible for its actions. Casualties, as unfortunate for the families as they are - I really mean that, because it must be truly, truly awful - by being shown on TV - may go some way to making voters and politicians less cavalier with our country's soldiers.

Just my opinion guys, an emotive subject and I'm sorry if anybody is offended by my views - I wouldn't post if I thought that might be the case.

Last edited by Op_Twenty; 10th Feb 2010 at 18:35.