PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Annual instructional hours in the UK
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2010, 17:33
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your right bose.

But its hardly a new problem I did 850 hours in 2002 and did 3 months straight doing 100 hours instructing and about another 10 in ferry flights. One school at the time had increasing sliding scales on the number of hours you flew a month, over 100 you were on double money.

The CAA have know about it for years. nobody has crashed and killed someone after doing 100 plus so they won't do anything about it.

When I read a report in the wee incidents mag and see the instructor has done 20 or 80 hours in the last 28 my first thought is I wonder how many hours in the school they have done. When was the last time they had 2 days off in a row.

Sitting on your backside with nothing to do in a school is just as knackaring as flying your backside off.

And some of us who were doing those sort of hours did care about the quality of our instruction and loved teaching folk. Recently I got my rating back after it being lapsed for nearly 5 years. Did 3 days in a row on my tod with 2-3 lessons on the first 2 followed by 4 hours on the 3rd. I was utterly shattered, more so than doing 3 earlies followed by 3 lates with 9-10 hours duty I would do in the turboprop.

And its this need to make slaves out of FI which means that the PPL instructor won't make much difference to the schools. They need FI's to do all the crap jobs, sit doing nothing when nothing is happening, come in at the crack of dawn and leave after the last flight has come home.A PPL instructor (like myself now) would tell the owner to go f themselves doing a 10 hour day for a chance of an hour in the air.