PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tell me I was seeing things, Tell me the BBC did not show a Soldier dying
Old 10th Feb 2010, 14:03
soddim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soddim, please don't get politics into this. It's the families call if they want to show loved ones faces on national tv.
Sorry, but there are some extremely sensitive people on this website and many really need to take a reality pill.

Our troops are getting killed and maimed because our politicians decided to send them to fight in Afghanistan. What little you see of this conflict on TV can only serve to better inform you of the reality of that conflict.

It is the potential viewers of those images who will soon elect the next government and they need to know what they are doing.

As for 'It's the families call', don't be stupid. How on earth are you going to go about getting that sorted if you are reporting a hot news story?

Soddim
The horrors of war can be shown without showing families the demise of loved ones on TV.
The coverage in question here was completely in order - nobody is shown getting killed or maimed and there was no graphic detail as is evidenced by those trying to work out if they saw the casualty or not.

I would hope that nobody in our military would be so soft as to suggest that the media do not show the realities of war because the public need to know and our politicians need to learn not to enter into it lightly.