PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2010, 12:58
Pinkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearfoil

The spirit of Pinkman is still alive and lurking - just didnt have much else to add and I am not a told-you-so type of guy. Also I got to the stage where I was a trifle worried about the men in black knocking at my door at 4am. But... since you ask.... I still have questions, although I accept they will never be answered.

We are told that the fuel came from South Korea (possibly the Yosu refinery but it doesnt say) and we know that they ruled out FAME (biodiesel) contamination. I wasnt surprised at the analysed freezing point when we were told that the fuel was Chinese RP-3 (Jet Fuel number 3). Thats entirely consistent. When they corrected the supplier, I was slightly surprised that the FP was -57 Celsius out of S. Korea on a consignment that was certified as Jet A-1, but in a 2008 IFQC survey, Jet A-1 freezing points varied between -47 and -60, so I suppose its possible. But the fact that the fuel went from refinery to ship to tianjin depot and then presumably via pipeline to beijing would make me want to investigate water pickup a bit more thoroughly. That sort of transit is not unusual but does require good handling practices. Other than that - not a lot you can say. Looking on the bright side, we've had a focus on aviation fuel quality like we have never seen for years as a result of a major incident that didnt kill anyone. That HAS to be good news.

Pinkman