PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO Level 4 testing standards
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2010, 10:23
iamhere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a question of convenience.

Its a question of convenience. The French issue a pilots level 6 willy nilly.
The French think that if you complete their pilot training for a French license you must be level 6 and will therefore issue a level 6 based on that alone !!!!
Example, a native English (and I mean English) pilot complete his ATPL in France and was therefore awarded a level 6 in French. He was in reality not even a level 4 in French. The French logic was that if he could complete the course and pass it he must be level 6. !!!! On the other hand the same pilot was only awarded a level 5 for his English skill.

I believe the french controllers approach the problem in a more professional manner and will only award a level which is really proven using a proven exam.

Many European regulator bodies want to appease the pilots who may find themselves stopped from flying if they can't communicate. Its a question of convenience.

Eurocontrol have approached the task for the European air traffic controller force in the correct manner. Their ELPAC examination is only designed to test up to level 5. This makes sense because a non native English speaker may suffer a drop in ability if they do not use the language on a regular basis. Eurocontrol spent over 3 years developing a series of examinations, trialing them over and over again and finally submitting the data to an independent university for verification. All that before they released the first examination version. Well done eurocontrol. Elpac = level 4 and 5. If an exam is only rated to level 5 a level 6 can not be issued. This is quite correct.

One central european (they make cheese with holes in it) aviation administrator, had their level 4 examination developed by the Germans. No time to make one of their own, because like many other organizations they did nothing after ICAO gave the world 5 years warning of the coming standards. Then under recent pressure from the national airline, hastily internally developed a level 5 and 6 exam. Un proven, barely tested and not independently checked by a neutral professional body. Basically a saving face maneuver under pressure from the pilots. Safety has slipped into second or third place.

Why did they want a level 6 exam? It's only so that they'll be examined less and save the inconvience of having to take an exam every 3 to 6 years.

Some administrations want to accept a cambrigde first or profiency certificate as a measure of ability. This is not acceptable and not a measure of the required standard.

I mention this particular cheese making central european aviation administrator because they are typical of many European civil aviation administrations. A tight budget, no people, pressure from the pilots, and will NOT do anything really safe until there is an accident. Just like the Hungarians for the pilots. The Hungarian air traffic controllers use the Eurocontrol ELPAC examination – well done. The pilots ????? less so if that is the case.

As Steve_ben says
" I hear today that Hungary is considering a waiver for all its flight crews to remove the need for formal testing I am shocked. A couple of recent events the LOT 737 lost over London and unable to effectively communicate with ATC due to poor language"

The Hungary waiver and the cheese makers unproven exam are most likely only the tip of the ice berg. Pilots in Europe do not have the equivalent of the controllers eurocontrol and therefore no unified standard examination like the ELPAC. They are at the mercy of profit making commercial organizations who are more than ready to sell training material and examinations. The eurocontrol exam is free and of high, proven quality. It is not however designed for pilots.

Yes good luck with the training and testing steve_ben and please make sure the results are honest. I might be a passenger on one of the following post examination flights.

Keep it safe.
Like they say ...
"If you think safety is expensive, try an accident !!!"

Last edited by iamhere; 17th Feb 2010 at 11:43. Reason: Changed to avoid offending lybia and cheese makers