PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tuna Spotting, tuna boat ops (incl Guam)
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2010, 07:11
Heliringer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drifersabre
I heard that it was nine. There is no australian underwriter that will touch a helicopter operating off purse seiner. Australia is known as a hot spot, whatever that means. I just finished a six month stint with tropic helicopters. Do your research on this one.

A good song by the gunners. Failure to communicate. I had to fight for my safety every day operating a hughes 500 for Tropic helos. I was and remain determined not to sucumb to the preasure of a screaming lunatic (captain or fishmaster) who usually has zero knowledge of helicopter operations. I would rather be grumpy and no good according to the fishmaster than a nice guy who pleases but destroys the machine. Spotting is a safe practice. The helicopter should be operated like an aeroplane with the advantage of landing on a deck. Sadly, pilots fall to the trap of a lack of assertiveness and operate like hovercraft with many crashes. There is know insurance company that will insure for fish herding. None. Remember this next time you prance off the deck to replicate a hovercraft. Learn to say NO and live longer.

Do this mob work under an AOC and do the regulators ever check?

Last edited by Heliringer; 10th Feb 2010 at 07:27.