PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 10th Feb 2010, 04:57
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Once upon a time I was flying a Shorts 3-60 (in the RHS) when the shaker came on and stayed on continuously.
I had that happen in one of those. I had an experienced F/O, but it was the proverbial dark and stormy and with a full load of pax. Despite 40 years on turbo-prob and jet transport, I still found it remarkably disorientating. Indications and feel all said that it was a spurious warning, but that noise was reaching way down in a place where pilots store bad memories.

Conflicting visual and or aural inputs, are in themselves, very dangerous.

I guess I'm getting to be one of the last lot to be trained on the real aircraft with stalls taken through to the push. (BAC 1-11) It really was a smooth procedure, with the Claxon leaving you with no doubts that it had happened.

The Stains accident hadn't happened by then, (18/6/72) but of course Mike Lithgow's deep stall had. (G-ASHG. 2/10/63) We had all seen pictures of the very short impact site and were acutely aware of the danger. In Davis' later editions, he talks almost passionately about more training in the real aircraft. I can not imagine flying without that kind of experience, yet I've just tonight, watched an hour long program on PBS about this accident. Frontline. Flying Cheap.

One guy, during an extensive face to face interview, said that he'd got his command at 500 hours. His F/O was in flight school with him and had 400.

All in all the program was damning. But then, so are many sensationalistic types of documentary, but it is obvious that there have to be huge changes. As one who is mystified how airline finances work in present times, I can not even imagine how the industry can afford to totally restructure its training standards and crew experience levels for the better.