PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OAT Exam Results
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2002, 18:51
Keith.Williams.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oxford Blue

The OATs statistics sound very good indeed, and I have no doubt that the school is justifiably proud of them. But I do think it would be helpful if you could explain how the "back classed sudents" appear in the figures.

In a previous string in which you quoted the OATS first time pass rates, it became apparent that some low scoring students are routinely invited to delay their exams. This is a perfectly rational practice, but there is a danger that it might skew the statistics more than a little.

If a standard course is about 30 students, the delaying of 4 (as indicated in a post above) means that only 87% take the exam
on time. If 94% of these pass the exams, it means that less than 82% of the total has completed training on time and passed first time.

Can you please give a comparison for the following groups?

What percentage of students are back classed?

What percentage of all students achieve first sitting passes in all subjects.

What percentage of students achieve first sitting passes in all subjects without being back classed.

This is not intended to be a dig at you or OATs. A considerable number of the students attending my POF and PERF consolidation courses have informed me that the majority of the students at their school (not OATS) fail these subjects at last once.