PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oh CASA, you.....
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2010, 22:07
Baldnfat

Location: Australia - (far away from Mum and her wooden spoon)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exam system makeover

IMHO the whole exam system needs a complete makeover.

In 2004 I trundled off to Moorabin to do the Irex as the Launceston ASL centre was booked solid for months and I was already into my IF flight training so I needed to get busy. I had to stay in a motel the night before due to the early start time and when I was 70 % through the exam I used the scroll function on the mouse which was a no no as the whole exam process locked up for 20 minutes (some sort of known software glitch). By the time it got going again I only had around 30 minutes to finish. The KDR on the failure (by a 3 lousy percent) indicated that I had let myself down on the areas of the syllabus that were tested in that final part of the exam. GRRRR!

A couple of weeks later I learned that it was possible to get a sit in Launy as several candidates that were studying at the time were in the habit of booking sitting times then cancelling at the eleventh hour due to a lack of prep or whatever. The scroll mouse/software problem was still happening but this time I was informed of it prior to starting the exam.

The letters I wrote to ASL, CASA and my local member to highlight my outrage at the time were answered very poorly with the exceptiom of the polly who couldn't believe that such a draconian system existed.

I recieved no offers of a refund of any kind. The cost of flights, accom, etc made my first irex exam a very expensive exercise indeed.

Lets face it if CASA and ASL were in a competitive market for the products and services they provide they wouldn't last a month before they were overtaken by a competitor.

Bad luck about forgetting to take your logbook to your performance exam.

In 92 I sat 1 combined CPL exam on my CFI's kitchen table that had been faxed to our location. What was wrong with that system? It seems that it made it too easy to cheat. Yeah right we all know that if you cheat on your study that the lack of knowledge will bite you in the the arse when it counts.

I hope that the resit went well and that you enjoy the rest of the study process.

Don't forget to look back at it later in your career breathing that sigh of relief that we who have been through it all do.

Thank F#*k that bits over.