PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 9th Feb 2010, 21:33
OllieB88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all,

Reading above about grades above prompted me to ask a question on this thread.
I have never claimed to be a natural born genius when it comes to the academic side of my life. For GCSE's i have English C,D Science C,C Maths D, D&T D, History D.

I never went on in school to do A-Levels, as i thought i would most bypass them and go straight to college.

But in 2007 i decided, if i really wanted to be a pilot in the RAF, which i had from a rather young age, i should prove to myself i can be a pilot! Instead of college i did a full time JAA-PPL(A), and have since gone on to do a Degree in Aviation in New Zealand, recieving my NZCAA-CPL(a) Multi Engined Instrument Rating in 2009.
To complete my Degree i had to also do the instructor course; Unfortunately, shortly after finishing Theory modules the company went Bankrupt.

Enable to fund anymore training, and having finanical problems due to money not being released from the company, i returned home to the UK in September 09 with out a Degree.

I have now began my Application, and i will most probably send it on its way tomorrow.

What i would like to ask is:

- Just because i don't have As and Bs in GCSE's will i just be completely over looked?

I heard from some pilots in the RAF and friends who i know personally in the RAF, Grades aren't always important, A good character can be the most important thing to bring with you to an Interview! ??

And,

- What "things" do the Interviewing officers like to see from the ideal candidate?

To prepare myself for selection im revising like a mad man subjects like, Maths, Principles of Flight, Navigation, Current Affairs. Even self teaching Spanish, to prove i have the ability to better myself, more than what the grades on a few peices of paper say.

Thanks all,
Any information from you would be excellent,

Ollie