PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C130J just a strat aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2002, 17:42
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't bear it any longer - this is my first post (probably last, too) but MikeR has got my goat!

As a current K bloke, it pains me to back up the J types on this thread .......but Mike R is spouting rubbish!

The J is a new ac, but its doing fine in theatre, thank you very much (barring a few tech-snags that are being quickly sorted). They are bound to be making mistakes like the K did but they are learning as quickly as well.

The crews are well protected, well trained and highly keen. Most of them are top guys/gals - some of whom worked as opsos for the K crews at the height of the ops out there and many are experienced K guys with lots of hours like you Mike! - they are not 'rushing in headlong'! As for route-queens - they get everywhere I agree, but even they start to get 'tactical' when people start shooting at them!

I, for one, am very glad the J is 'out there', cos the K crews were on our knees and we are very glad of the respite the J deployment has brought - thanks guys and keep it up! Just give us a USA route or 2?

Mike - furthermore, the JOEU have very experienced chaps doing the tac workload trials - and are a lot more thorough than you insinuate, so back off!

The truth is that from now on in, the J will get all the money and back-up while the K will fall into a gradual decline (no change there, I hear you say). The J tac clearances will come and it will get most of the kit it needs. It's a shame that the K crews are not seen as worth spending money on - as the K apparently has a very short time left in service (yeah right - about 10 years!!!!) and it is not seen as a 'good investment' - makes my blood that one - but that's a different story!

I know that all J crews would agree with me that the K has done a sterling job recently and the crews have been exceedingly brave - day and night and in the finest traditions of the Service - of course with little publicity and acclaim! I am very proud to have served alongside the chaps.

I hope the J has such a successful time 'at war' and that the crews earn their spurs! Fly safe!

MikeR - I know this is a rumour network ....but a little more research next time? Suggest you take up the offer of finding out first hand about the J - I would if I could but I suspect I've missed the boat!